In a surprising discovery, researchers at Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University have determined that vitamin C kills drug-resistant tuberculosis (TB) bacteria in laboratory culture. The finding suggests that vitamin C added to existing TB drugs could shorten TB therapy, and it highlights a new area for drug design. TB is caused by infection with the bacterium M. ...
Michelle Keegan, who was awarded Cleavage Of The Year by The Sun earlier this year, has said that she is embarrassed by her cleavage and struggles to understand her sex symbol status. The 25-year-old actress told new! magazine that it was embarrassing but also flattering, the Mirror reported. She said that she didn't wear tops that show her cleavage much, asserting that her mother joked about ...
Technology firm NewSat plans to hire up to 20 space scientists as part of an expansion of its facility at Mawson Lakes in Adelaide. The Australian company is preparing to launch a satellite fleet and needs more antennae in Adelaide to support them. It provides communication services for customers including mining companies and the United States military. NewSat chief executive Adrian ...
The difference between survival and death during a tornado can be helped by increased warning time. The National Weather Service says the ability to forecast a tornado system has advanced drastically. Chip Reid reports on the improving ...
A legal tussle in the US Supreme Court over who can own gene patents like the breast cancer gene has raised fundamental questions about what can be owned.While the combatants - the Association for Molecular Pathology and Myriad Genetics - hone their arguments, the rest of us should pause to consider how we got here and whether it's time to change the law.Patents give inventors an incentive ...
Men With Guns
John Sayles' "Men With Guns" is about what happens to a society when brute force and constant threat of violence are the only means of gaining and maintaining power. The film takes place in an unnamed Central American country, where the men with guns are the rulers. Most of the country is divided into tiny segments -- some are controlled by guerrillas with guns, some are controlled by Army soldier ... ...
(QMI Agency files) A Federal Court judge dismissed Tuesday a challenge by two unions to overturn temporary foreign worker permits granted to a China-backed mining company. Judge Russel Zinn ruled HD Mining properly applied for the 201 worker permits, according to the Labour Market Opinions process. The International Union of Operating Engineers Local 115 and BC Building Trades union said the ...
Royal Horticultural Society have decided this year to relax their century-old ban and for the first time allow the "little people" into the show -- garden gnomes, that is, those tacky little statues of short bearded men with pointy ...
Nicholas Rutledge snapped this picture of yesterday's devastating tornado as it gathered strength in Newcastle, Oklahoma. It later intensified before smashing through suburbs surrounding Oklahoma City, including the city of ...
deadly tornado ripped through the Oklahoma City area on Monday , leaving 24 dead. As rescue crews assist victims, scientists have fanned out across the Great Plains, seeking to better understand how severe storms form, and how people may better guard against their worst ...
Tuesday was either a great day or an awful day for science research in Canada -- depending on whose story you were listening to.On one hand, Gary Goodyear, federal minister of state for science and technology, was presenting the government's commitments to science and technology research and proclaiming that discovery-driven research is a priority for the Conservatives.On the other hand, ...
Did I hear right?
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
One of four Sheraton Hotels in Waikiki, and one of three on the beach. Next Door is the Sheraton Royal ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
The UK NewsThe UK News | Headlines making the News in the UK
The UK News is one of the most comprehensive UK news online newspapers on the Web, providing breaking news, and an extensive range of articles of general interest about the United Kingdom.
Weather forecasts, sports updates, and world news headlines, business and financial markets reports are regular features. Vote on a topical news poll, and see how people the world over are seeing current issues.
Coverage extends from Great Britain to Northern Ireland, and takes in Guernsey, Jersey and the Isle of Wight. The British sector takes in England, Scotland and Wales, with news emanating from major cities such as London, Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Cardiff.
The UK News reports on the latest in Northern Ireland, particularly in relation to the peace process. Whether it�s regional, local, or even global news, it all comes together on The UK News. Akin to buying a newspaper in each of the main cities and counties of the United Kingdom, the UK News brings it all together in one composite newspaper online.
You can also subscribe to receive headlines by email each day. Simply register your email, and there�s no more to do. To discontinue the service at any time, you simply advise us.
The Duchess of Cambridge has been branded Britain's "Queen Wag" by an outspoken author in her new book.
Feminist Joan Smith devoted a whole chapter to Kate in her new book 'The Public Woman' and compared her to Cheryl Cole and Coleen Rooney, saying that in her opinion she is a "prime candidate" for the role of Queen of the Wags and deserves the title "more than anyone."
The 59-year-old crime writer said that Kate has not done anything since her university days except play a supporting role to her boyfriend Prince William, marry him with pomp and ceremony and get pregnant.
Smith wrote that Kate has never enjoyed an independent identity or income, and even her clothes were paid for by Prince Charles, asserting that she didn't seem to aspire to either.
She called Kate unambitious, uncontroversial and bland, calling her Queen Wag in everything but name, the Daily Star reported.
Smith added that the 31-year-old royal became famous not for her achievements but her willingness to play the traditional feminine role of all, waiting for a husband, getting married and not long afterwards becoming pregnant. (ANI)
- Iran Bars Candidacies of Rafsanjani Ahmadinejad Aide
- Sven-Goran Eriksson to reveal sexy secrets in tell-all book
- Anderson most skillful fast bowler in the world England bowling coach David Saker
- New England football kit compared to old German strip
- I cant wait to be a dad says Prince William
- Fergie Premier League manager of year
- The day Man United signed RvP was when the crown was bound for Old Trafford Ferguson
- Barcelona to make 20 mln pounds move for Man City skipper Vincent Kompany
- Retiring Fergie wins Manager of the Year award for a fourth time
- Moyes to ask Rooney for commitment or give go ahead for his exit
- 40 cigarette factory jobs go to Poland
- Belfast in top five of UKs best visits
- Mother of suicide sisters gives birth to boy
- Tribal politics are preventing merger of two teacher training colleges we cant afford claim
- Peter Robinson accused of ranting at critics of shared future plan
- Body in Scottish woods identified as young man missing since 1999
- Church of Scotland Votes to Allow Openly Gay Ordained Ministers
- Jessica Ennis to open her 2013 season at event in Edinburgh
- Boy 8 dies after his bike collides with crane in Aberdeen
- Tragic Ruby Dench 11 who died on school trip to Scotland had heart problem
- Andy Murray pulls out of French Open to focus on being fit for Wimbledon
- Sergio Garcia at centre of racism row as dispute with Tiger Woods continues
- Wayne and Coleen Rooney announce birth of second son Klay Anthony
- Jonny Wilkinson ready to answer Lions SOS should Warren Gatland come calling
- Edgy England need Alastair Cook in form
- Overall economy likely to pick up in Q2 says German central bank
- Beni advises SAIL to take corrective measures to complete projects on time
- Bank mergers could lead to too-big-to-fail entities Chidambaram
- Morgan Stanley to sell Indian private banking arm to StanChart
- Bernanke testimony to be studied for policy clues
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest The UK News headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Duchess Kate dubbed Britains Queen Wag by human rights activist
- British Open squash World no.1 Nicol too hot for Joshana
- Bale to sign 150000 pound a week contract to stay with Spurs
- Apple accused of billion-dollar tax evading scheme
- Sven-Goran Eriksson to reveal sexy secrets in tell-all book