Doctors have been able to successfully treat a 2.5-year-old boy who had suffered from cardiac arrest and brain damage, putting him in a vegetative state, using his own cord blood containing stem cells. The symptoms improved significantly; over the following months, the child learned to speak simple sentences and to move. "Our findings, along with those from a Korean study, dispel the long-held ...
Mohit Patel Jason Atkins and Mohit Patel were among the 20 recipients of $50,000 grants from Arch Grants last week for their startup Genetix Fusion. But that wasnt the first grant the pair of researchers from the University of Missouri-St. Louis received recently. Atkins and Patel are working on their doctoral degrees in biology in the laboratory of George Gokel, director of the Center for ...
Tuan Ha-Ngoc, president and CEO, Aveo Oncology Aveo Oncology (Nasdaq:AVEO) remained quiet Friday after the news that its partner to commercialize its potential drug for kidney cancer is giving up plans to seek approval for the drug in Europe, and wont pay for further trials. Shares in Aveo opened Friday down 17 percent, but by noon, had risen to $2.58 a share, about 4 percent below Thursdays ...
Dr. Ronald DePinho is the President of M.D. Anderson and co-founder of Aveo Pharmaceuticals. The biotechnology company the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center president co-founded is facing more setbacks. Boston-based Aveo Pharmaceuticals Inc. (Nasdaq: AVEO), co-founded by Dr. Ronald DePinho, said this week its financial partner, Astellas Pharma Inc., will no longer fund future ...
Minister for Health James Reilly has expressed concern about issues raised in a planned RTÉ Prime Time programme on creches. He said Minister for Children Frances Fitzgerald was also concerned. Mr Reilly said he would be watching the issue closely and awaited the report from the Health Service ...
"The Exorcist" is a great, stunning contradiction of a movie. At once an honest, disturbing exploration of the darker aspects of religion and the spiritual world, it is also an unabashed horror movie, a drive-in splatter flick with an Oscar-winning director and expensive production values. When the film was completed, no one was exactly sure what it was: was it an art film or a exploitation shocke ... ...
Pharmacist Samuel Wahba faces a maximum sentence of five years in prison. Pharmacist Samuel Wahba has pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit health care fraud, lying to a federal agency, making false claims to a federal health care program and concealing his exclusion from all federal health care programs. In 2001, he was convicted of violating the state racketeering law, Medicaid fraud and ...
Dr. Thomas L. Lewis Dr. Thomas L. Lewis is stepping down as president of Salus University after leading the Elkins Park institution and its predecessor, the Pennsylvania College of Optometry, for 24 years. Rear Admiral Dr. Michael H. Mittelman, who has more than 30 years of health-care industry experience in both military and civilian posts, will take over in mid-July. Lewis will oversee his ...
Affected LogistiCare positions include 33 customer service representatives, as well as managers, quality assurance specialists and facilities representatives. LogistiCare will cut 64 jobs at its Madison call center because of the loss of a contract, the company said in a letter to the Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development received Thursday. LogistiCare said the decision is a result of ...
China's Margaret Chan, Director-General of the World Health Organization, WHO, leaves the podium after delivering a speech during the 66th World Health Assembly at the European headquarters of the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland, Monday, May 20, ...
Hospital chain MedStar Health is expanding its network of walk-in clinics, announcing plans for two more urgent care clinics not previously disclosed. MedStar officials have informed District regulators they will seek permission to open a combined urgent care clinic and doctors' office in the Anacostia neighborhood of southeast D.C. A similar operation is also planned to open this summer in ...
Did I hear right?
We must define the nature and scope of this struggle, or else it will define us. Neither I, nor any President can promise the total defeat of terror. What we must do is dismantle networks that pose a direct danger.
The U.S. president was speaking on his administration's counter terrorism policy.
Stamford Sydney Airport, Australia
The Stamford is the most imposing, and the highest rating of the Sydney Airport hotels. Neighbouring the domestic terminals are ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
The Boy Scouts of America National Council has resolved to accept gay members. Do you agree with this policy?
The UK NewsThe UK News | Headlines making the News in the UK
The UK News is one of the most comprehensive UK news online newspapers on the Web, providing breaking news, and an extensive range of articles of general interest about the United Kingdom.
Weather forecasts, sports updates, and world news headlines, business and financial markets reports are regular features. Vote on a topical news poll, and see how people the world over are seeing current issues.
Coverage extends from Great Britain to Northern Ireland, and takes in Guernsey, Jersey and the Isle of Wight. The British sector takes in England, Scotland and Wales, with news emanating from major cities such as London, Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Cardiff.
The UK News reports on the latest in Northern Ireland, particularly in relation to the peace process. Whether it�s regional, local, or even global news, it all comes together on The UK News. Akin to buying a newspaper in each of the main cities and counties of the United Kingdom, the UK News brings it all together in one composite newspaper online.
You can also subscribe to receive headlines by email each day. Simply register your email, and there�s no more to do. To discontinue the service at any time, you simply advise us.
Britain had to scramble fighter jets Friday for escorting a Pakistani International Airlines (PIA) plane after it was diverted from Manchester. Later, two people were arrested on suspicion of endangering the aircraft's flight.
The Royal Air Force Typhoon jets were scrambled to escort the passenger plane, originally heading from Pakistan's Lahore city to Britain's Manchester city.
Police boarded the PIA flight PK709 after it was diverted to Stansted airport, BBC reported.
The plane, carrying 297 passengers, had left Lahore at 09.35 a.m. and was due in at Manchester at 2.00 p.m. (British Standard Time).
The Essex police said the two people being held were aged 30 and 41. But there was no immediate official confirmation of what happened on board.
According to a BBC correspondent, there was a suggestion that there had been threats on board during the flight, involving some sort of weapon or bomb - although this had not been confirmed.
However, one passenger said the pilot had informed them there had been threats.
"We were about half an hour away from landing in Manchester and we saw that the plane was taking different actions. We did not know anything about it other than the pilots announced that they have landed at Stansted," he said. ...
- BBC editor apologises for Muslim remark
- Now a radio that can change scripts depending on where you are
- Emergency landing forces closure of Heathrow passengers safely evacuated
- Cook says Pietersen progressing well to be fit in time for Ashes
- Angry Proteas fans slams arrogant Brit coach for Anderson more skilful than Steyn claim
- Content Man City says will not swap players with Man U
- Man City CEO expects Pelligrini to deliver five trophies in five years
- Ferdinand happy to sign new contract with Man U
- Police urge schools to be alert after spate of suspicious incidents
- Five sheep killed in attack by dog
- Nigel Farage bombed in Edinburgh – what does that really tell us about Scottish antipathy to the English | Ian Jack
- NGO Monitor Church of Scotland Fails to Correct a Terrible Wrong
- UPDATE 2-Seaweed forces EDF to halt Scottish nuclear reactors
- Young farmers in Scotland have bright future
- Why we pedalled on the Scottish parliament
- Preview England v Barbarians
- Lydon links up with RFU
- Lydon links up with RFU
- Persistent showers force opening-day abandonment
- Manchester United announce assistant Mike Phelan is to leave the club
- New US meat labeling rules upsets Canada
- Twitter beefs up security with two-step login
- Royalty Pharma takeover bid fails to find Elan ecceptance
- Wockhardt shares plunge 20 pc on USFDA import alert
- 2 Ford units to be shut in Australia in Oct 2016
- Gujarat Chief Minister Modi launches Ahmedabad edition of The Hindu Business Line
- HSBC could face criminal prosecution as deal on money laundering charges stalls
- Uttarakhand annual plan for 2013-14 finalized at Rs. 8500 crore
- Ralph Nader Wounded Shareholder of Fannie Mae Freddie Mac
- Watchlist financial markets data log in not working
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest The UK News headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Pakistani plane forced to land near London two held
- Two held over Pakistani planes mid-air alert
- Britain sends up fighters as Pakistani plane diverted
- British Open squash Pallikal goes down fighting to World No.2
- Teacher banned from every school for seducing boy